CBD. It seems today that you can find CBD in almost anything. From health and beauty products to nutritional supplements, pet snacks, and more this fantastic substance is finding its way back into the lives of millions. What is CBD? How does CBD interact with the body? Are there benefits offered by consuming or utilizing CBD? Where do you even begin to start with the many different products available today? If these are questions, you have asked yourself you will find the answers you are looking for below.
What is CBD?
CBD is short for the scientific term Cannabidiol. Cannabidiol or CBD for short is a compound categorized as a cannabinoid. There are two types of cannabinoids. The first type is endocannabinoids which are produced naturally by the body such as Anandamide aka The Bliss Molecule. The other is known as phytocannabinoids which are produced by plants.
CBD is a phytocannabinoid that is produced in high concentrations within many varieties of cannabis including industrial hemp and psychoactive medical/recreational cannabis. CBD is also found in other plants such as Helichrysum but only in minor concentrations.
CBD unlike other phytocannabinoids such as THC, does not produce intoxicating effects in consumers and patients. CBD should not produce a high or buzz. The only elevated feeling you should receive from a CBD product is the happy, euphoric feeling of relief.
How CBD Interacts with the Body
CBD, as well as other cannabinoids, work with the human body through what is known as the endocannabinoid system. This system has been found to play a vital role in mini regulatory functions of every mammal known to man. When CBD is utilized in one of many different ways it is absorbed by receptors that are a part of the endocannabinoid system.
These receptors are located throughout the bodies of every mammal known to man. When absorbed by these receptors phytocannabinoids activate two-way communication between nerves and cells that was previously nonexistent. Through this communication, it allows the body to combat many different ailments and conditions naturally. Learn more about the mammalian endocannabinoid system here.
Benefits Offered by CBD
If you look at the scientific research as well as the anecdotal stories surrounding the CBD it would seem that it's easier to list what CBD can't do than it is to list everything it can. Below you can find an extensive list of reported benefits offered by CBD. Reported benefits that are backed by science.
- ADD and ADHD
- Antibiotic Resistance
- Digestive Issues
- Endocrine Disorders
- Epilepsy and Seizures
- Heart Disease
- Huntington’s Disease
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Kidney Disease
- Liver Disease
- Metabolic Syndrome
- Mood Disorders
- Motion Sickness
- Multiple Sclerosis (MS)
- Chronic Pain
- Osteoporosis/Bone Health
- Parkinson’s Disease
- Prion/Mad Cow disease
- Sickle Cell Anemia
- Skin Conditions
- Sleep Disorders
- Spinal Cord Injury
- Stroke and TBI
To learn more about the science behind any of the conditions mentioned above or ailments visit Project CBD's website. Here you can find links to many different medical and scientific studies surrounding CBD's efficiency as a health and medical product.
Types of CBD Products
For many individuals that are curious about utilizing CBD or including it as part of their daily regimen one of the hardest aspects is deciding what products to use. This is because CBD can be found in many different products from a plethora of different companies. Luckily thanks to the wide variety of different ways that you can utilize CBD it often comes down to pinpointing what it is that you are hoping CBD can help with.
Once you pinpoint this knowing the products that are available is half the battle. Below are some of the most common CBD products found on the market today as well as the common ailments and reasons why consumers are utilizing them worldwide.
- CBD Vape Oil: Vaping CBD offers almost immediate effects for those looking for relief from addiction, nausea, anxiety, depression, and PTSD.
- CBD Edibles/Drinkables: Consumable CBD products must first go through the digestive tract before effects take place. However, the results tend to last longer for many consumers who utilize CBD consumables for relief from chronic pain, inflammation, digestive issues, IBS, and many other ailments.
- CBD Capsules: Encapsulated CBD oil is an easy, discreet, and common way to utilize CBD. Capsules are an excellent choice for anyone wanting to incorporate CBD into their daily health regimen.
- CBD Patches: CBD transdermal patches are applied to the skin and allow for consumers/patients to pinpoint the specific area in which they seek relief from.
- CBD Transdermal and Topical Products: Lotions, creams, salves, ointments, and many other products that can be applied externally are available today infused with CBD. These products are the go-to choice for many individuals looking for relief from pain, inflammation, and a variety of different skin conditions.
There are also many other CBD infused products such as CBD inhalers, and CBD suppositories that are quickly becoming popular among consumers and patients alike.
We hope that this breakdown of common CBD aspects helped provide you with a better understanding of just how you may benefit from CBD.