Vape pens are becoming more popular these days, with more people switching to using them. However, it’s important to know how to care for them properly. A key element of maintenance is keeping your vape pen clean.
Have you just bought a vape pen but don’t know how to get started with cleaning it? After all, your new vaping device won’t stay pristine forever! When you take it out of the box for the first time, it’ll look sleek and shiny. However, after a few uses, you’ll find that gunk and dirt begins to build up. Not only is this unattractive and unhygienic, it will also impact on your vaping experience. You’ll start to notice that that flavor suffers and your device won't be as efficient as it used to be. That’s why cleaning on a regular basis is so important. Of course, you’ll need to know how to clean it properly. That’s why we’ve brought you this expert guide to cleaning your vape pen. So, read on and get some top tips to get you started.
Understanding Your Vape Pen’s Anatomy
Understanding the different components which make up your vape pen is key to getting the cleaning process right. A pen-style vape is made up of:
- A cartridge which holds the vaping material. This will usually also contain the heating element or atomizer. Some cartridges are disposable and so won’t require cleaning. Refillable cartridges should be cleaned every time they are refilled.
- A battery. This powers the unit and attaches to the chamber.
- A mouthpiece. This may or may not be removable for cleaning.
You’ll need to take apart all of the components to make sure they’re thoroughly cleaned.
Why Do I Need To Clean My Vape Pen?
Apart from the fact that a dirty vape pen looks unattractive, there are health and safety reasons for cleaning it. The sticky residue which builds up in the cartridge has to be removed from time to time. This will ensure that inhaling pathway remains clear. It will also ensure the vapor you’re inhaling stays pure, healthy and clean. If the heating element gets clogged, this could also compromise the performance of your device. It could even make your vape pen dangerous to use. Also, if your vape pen is covered by a warranty, you’ll need to ensure you’ve cared for it properly. Otherwise, any malfunctions or defects won’t be covered by the warranty’s terms and conditions.
When Should I Clean My Vape Pen?
You’ll probably want to rinse out the refillable cartridge of your vape pen on a regular basis. This will make sure that gunk doesn’t build up over time. For most people, it’s advised you clean your vape pen after every 20 or 25 uses. This could average out at around once per week. If you’ve found your device isn’t supplying the performance you expect, you’ll probably find a deep clean will improve it.
Cleaning The Refillable Cartridge
You’re sure to want to get maximum flavor from your vape to enjoy the best experience. That’s why you should make sure your vape pen’s refillable cartridge is clean.
You should use alcohol to clean your device. The alcohol will remove all of the engrained dirt and gunk build up from your device. If you vape concentrates or oils, you’ll find that you develop a sticky residue inside the refillable cartridge. This means you’ll need to take extra care when carrying out a deep clean to make sure no residue remains.
- Choose a time when the vape pen is still warm to carry out your clean. This will allow the residue to be cleaned more easily from the inside of the pen
- Detach the cartridge from the vape pen
- Make sure that it’s empty
- Use non-flavored high-proof vodka or rubbing alcohol to clean your cartridge. These are useful solvents which break down deposits
- Pour the alcohol onto a paper towel or cloth
- Wipe the cloth or towel over the exterior components of the refillable cartridge. Scrub any areas which are especially grimy
- Dip a Q-tip into the alcohol
- Use the Q-tip to scrub the threading using a circular motion. Be careful not to break any of the components
- Use a clean Q-tip dipped in alcohol to rub the cartridge’s inner lining and rim. Repeat until there’s no visible residue on the Q-tip. It’s best to use strokes in the same direction when using the Q-tip to remove the residue. This will avoid it being smeared and spread around the cartridge
- Whatever you do, don’t put excessive pressure on the coil. If you damage this, you’ll need a new vape pen
- Once you’ve cleaned the cartridge it’s time to clean the mouthpiece. Gently use a cotton swab or cloth to remove any dirt and residue from its surface
- If a deeper clean of the mouthpiece is required, use rubbing alcohol. You can soak the mouthpiece for 20 minutes in isopropyl alcohol then rinse in warm water
- Allow to air dry for 15 minutes
- Reassemble your device and use
Top Tips For Maintaining Your Vape Pen
Cleaning your vape pen is just part of maintaining it. You also need to make sure that you care for it in between uses. When you vape oils and concentrates, you’ll need to keep your device or cartridge away from direct sunlight. This will ensure that the oils or concentrates retain their freshness and potency.
You should also make sure that you store the vape pen safely when you’re not using it. You’ll need to find a safe place where the device can be stored to prevent breakage. If you’re going to be traveling with your device, a storage carry case is a good idea. This will make sure that your cartridges don’t leak or get broken in transit.
Now that you know how you should go about cleaning your vape pen, you’ll enjoy more efficiency from your device. You’ll also enjoy a better flavor every time you use your vape pen.